Monday, February 9, 2009

All The Small Things

So I woke up this morning to one of the best surprises I've ever had. A video posted on my facebook wall proclaimed the impossible : Blink-182 are back together.

This is the band that basically sum up my entire teenage experience. Their lyrics and music always seemed to fit in perfectly with what I was feeling at any given moment. Their radio-friendly (some would say "commercialized", but they would be wrong) brand of pop-punk was the soundtrack to my generation. My connection to their lyrics is hard t express in words, but suffice to say that much of who I am today comes from the steady diet of Mark and Tom's lyrics I digested when I was younger. Love, lust, anger, frustration, angst, and good times with friends, their music had it all. Teenage therapy in audio form. They effectively broke up in 2004, right as I had just started to understand (and obsess over) their music, but drummer Travis Barker's recent brush with death has brought them back together, both as friends and as musicians.

While I love Tom's newest band, the epic Angles and Airwaves, and I hope that they will continue to put out great records, I am utterly elated that Blink-182 are a band again. I will pay however much I have to to see them live, since I never got to do that while they were together.

Essential Songs : Dammit, The Rock Show, Story of a Lonely Guy, Adam's Song, All The Small Things, What Went Wrong

1 comment: