Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Promenade

Berlin. What an amazing city. Filled with history, culture, and art, Berlin may be the most amazing city I have ever been to. This past week, Sara, Nicole and I, as well as The Spanish and Jorge the lone Mexican spent 5 days there.
Our World Is Grey
We went to two nightclubs as well as a smoky jazz club fashioned out of an old church (were I was able to do some improve playing). We spent a whole day walking around the Eastern section of the city center, attempting to take it all in. There is such a history and gravity to this place. Old cathedrals and government buildings riddled with patched up bullet holes and reconstructed frames. Memorials to the fallen soldiers of WWII, the Jews that perished in the Holocaust, the Communist solders that died, the brave souls that died attempting to cross from East to West Berlin. More even than that.

Glass And The Ghost Children
Berlin also has an underground movement that greatly appealed to me. Art, music, and fashion collide in the seedy galleries of East Berlin. Rastafarian street painters and anarchist poets. Spray-paint revolutionaries and feminist expressionists. The lure of the avant garde. Coupled with the seemingly never-ending nightlife, Berlin seems to me a melting pot of youth from every ethnic and ideological background. I could easily be talked in to living there for a few months....

Through art, history, and cheap alcohol, this trip introduced me to many new friends and allowed me to grow closer with old ones. I will never forget my time there, and I can only hope to return someday in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Josiah! I find myself today reading your blog (how's that i never knew you got one?) and that story about Berlin...... is so great. The Spanish xD sounds like a huge troop. xD Even is for real, i'm so happy i've been there with all you; of course one of my fav cities and as I told 100 times hope to live there someday.

    Hughs dude!
    Dani

    P.S.
    An welcome to my blog of crazyness xD

    ReplyDelete