Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Journeys



“Here we go, life’s waiting to begin”

In Flight

I left. Behind me, Atlanta stood in flames. After roughly 6 hours of darkness, the red glow of day appeared on the horizon. I’d never seen the sun come up over the clouds. There was no clear sunrise, no oversized star creeping over the edge of the world. The sky just gets brighter. “My eyes are opened up with pure sunlight.” Beautiful.

I wanted to see the ocean.

I never did.

By Train

Sweden looks like the Midwest. Amber waves of grain, evergreens, and farmhouses. A lone horse. Lost of lakes. Except all the lakes in Sweden are frozen over.

My lunch consists of bottled water and an overpriced Panini. My stomach still feels funny. I probably just need more sleep.

The sun goes down around 3:30. By 5, it is nighttime.

Revelation of the Day : “I was raised a Chrsitian. But I have not found the Church structure to be something I feel comfortable with, so it’s a personal relationship.”
-Billy Corgan

As if you needed one more reason to make him your idol.

Vallgatan

My home for the next 6 months is a dorm near the center of town called Vallgatan. My room is fairly Spartan. There is a bed with no linens or pillows. A table, 2 chairs, and a bookshelf. I have a private bathroom, which is nice.

Ate pizza with my new friend Sarah, who is another exchange student from America. We stumbled in to the pizzeria only to find all of the ingredients and recipes in Swedish. Ordering was an adventure in and of itself.

Now it’s 8:10 pm.

And I’m tired. The past two days have felt more like one long marathon in which I took a 5 hour nap. I have been going non stop for almost 48 hours, and it’s time to sleep.

I hope I can get some power adapters tomorrow. Because everything I own with a battery is dying.

1 comment:

  1. Josiah I miss you already. I am sorry I did not wish you good luck but good luck. Please keep in touch my friend...I love reading your daily stuff.

    ReplyDelete